Saturday, September 21, 2013

Colonel Robert Cranston to be Buried at Arlington

Andrew Guthrie AFN 1960-62 has an update.  If you can be in there, you should.
 
 
Subject: COLONEL CRANSTON'S BURIAL AT ARLINGTON SET FOR 14 NOVEMBER
20 September 2013
 
 
FINALLY I am able to report that our beloved commanding officer, Colonel Robert Cranston will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery at about noon on the 14th of November.  There will be a memorial service beginning at 11 AM at the Chapel on the Cemetery Grounds, followed by the burial beginning at approximately noon.
 
I got a call from Sandy Cranston last (Thursday 19th) night with the word.  She was relieved at finally getting a firm date after waiting all summer.  Sandy and I, frankly, are disappointed that the service could not have been in October, since the weather in Washington that month is usually quite nice, and cool and crisp.  November can begin to get chilly, although I assume one has to wait one's turn with the Cemetery as there are so many burials.
 
I have been in touch with the Drum Major of the Alexandria, VA Bagpipe Band and he told me that it will not be possible for the band to play at a burial during the week, as most of the men work.  However he is giving me a list of several Master pipers and I am sure that I will be able to find one who is available.  One of you, who served under Colonel Cranston, sent me a very generous check to defray the cost of the piper several months ago.  I plan to contribute as well and, if there is a need for addition funds, I will put out a notice on the Bulletin Board.  However, please do not send me any money until I find out exactly what it is going to cost.
 
I would like to urge as many of you who served under Colonel Cranston to try and save the day so you can attend.  That welcome also goes out to all of you who know him only by his outstanding service record as AFN Commander, Blue Danube Network Commander, and later as Commanding officer of the entire  A F R T S  at North Mcadden Place in Los Angeles.
 
I will be sending out additional information as I get it and very much look forward to seeing you there even though it will be a sad and emotional day for all of us.  One thing that has already irritated me and Sandy, given my own and Bob's Scottish heritage, is that a person at the Cemetery has said the piper will be quite limited as to the times he may play.  That runs counter to Scottish Military tradition, which would have him at the front of the caisson  and the honor guard.   For Bob's sake, we will try to change this.  For those of you with access to AFNers and AFRTS folks who may not be on this Bulletin Board, would you please pass around this news as widely as possible, especially to men and women who may have known the Colonel but who are in, or retired from, non-broadcasting military units.
 
For now, God Bless you all, and have a pleasurable Autumn!
 
Andrew
 
Army Pfc. (by Colonel's order) Andrew Guthrie (Ret.)
AFN Hqts. Newsroom 1960 - '61
Frankfurt am Hoechst
Andrew N Guthrie