Saturday, October 19, 2013

AFN Munich 1981 from a listener




Why was it so important to listen to AFN?  You know, listening to AFN was more than radio - radio was the "Bayerischer Rundfunk" in Munich but THEY  made the music - the listeners in Germany had no contact to the DJs in former days -  so you could not take part in this show... you know?

And then we discovered AFN - very late, when i was over 18 , but you know in former days me as a 18 year old boy was like 16 year old today -

The thing, why AFN was so important for me and my twin brother was, that there where Americans out there on the radio in the Request Show you could talk to - we called in every day and the DJs knew us from our names - and they played the songs for us - that was amazing!

And then one day I met Dick Dale, I just walked to Kaulbachstrasse (AFN Munich) ringed the bell and he opened... And I took part in his show - he smoked 20 cigarettes in 2hours - it was really stress -  before this day I had no idea how much stress is a Request-Show - he was alone in the studio!)

The other thing was: we improved our English - no, our American! I didn't like the "sound" of the British English in school - and I loved the smooth American language - but teachers  didn't! So, tell me, where could you listen to the American Language in Germany? Only on AFN!

;-)

I used American words like truck and not lorry, I pronounced "after" like an American not like a British - this was a process of individualization and emancipation from school - and with the DJs we had Americans, we could ask short questions about the American language - yes really, we did, if we had questions - and got answers.

Today I'm proud to have listened to AFN Munich in the early  80ties - it was the best radio-time of my life!

 

Charlie Tuna (i loved the country count down)  Wolfman Jack, or the great Casey Kasem from the American top 40 - but the best where the Request Shows in AFN Munich.

 

I still have this in my ear: Its 4:05 p.m. the news ended - and the music of the film "Dallas" appeared (that was E. Wattson) and he said":

 

"Hi there, I'm air force sergeant Everard Wattson, welcoming you on a Thursday afternoon here on AFN Munich - if you wanna here a song, gimme a call, my telephone number is 6194 and if you're calling from a civilian phone its 6229-6194, and I'll try to get it on for you"

 

Imagine - I remember this fluently today  - 30 years later....

 

;-)

 
Have a nice  weekend,

Andreas