Tuesday, June 6, 2023

AFRN Alaska - Michael Brown 1971

 




Yes, Adak, Alaska, (halfway out the Aleutian chain), has a radio station.  Two of them actually,  The AM station on 890 kHz (yep WLS) and an automated  FM.

I was in the Navy and was a CTM-2 when I arrived on Adak, June 1970.  I  left 1 year, 22 hours and 15 minutes later (plane landing to plane takeoff).

My main job had nothing to do with radio, but since I had an interest in being a DJ, I managed to get a weekend shift in the late night hours on Sunday, for 1.5 hours.  I eventually got moved to Sat afternoons for 2 hours and then expanded to 3 hrs.  I have tapes of pretty much all of my shows, which I've recently transferred to WAV files on the computer.

While there, the staff of the station did a radio series called Ptarmigan Tim.
At my last tour of duty, which was Edzell, Scotland, I did four DeeJay gigs at the EM club near the end of 1973. Did some private party deejaying for a few years after getting out.

During the hey-day of Doctor Who on PBS, I did pledge drives answering phone banks and a few times did on camera pledge drives.
Otherwise, I got into electronics as well as computers; self taught Unix system adminstration long before Microcrap came along. So, I am one of those computer geeks and my house has the computers to show for it.

 

AFRS Adak - Michael Brown May 29, 1971 Last show

No comments:

Post a Comment