Wednesday, June 22, 2022

AFRS Iceland - JIm Rourke 1971


Jim Roark checked in with his memories of AFRTS in Iceland:

Karl Phillips directed me to this site: he worked the Nite Owl show on nights when I was off. I was full time at the radio station from sometime in 71 to sometime in 73. Prior to that I volunteered as Karl did, canning an oldies show called Shake, Rattle and Roark from 70 to 73. Other DJ's from that time were Tom Weicks (mgr), Mark Lazar (Morning Man), Tom Hughes (drive time), Bob Howard (replaced Tom) and Karl. We were given credit by someone for introducing rock music to the Icelanders.

I i left Iceland in 1973 and got out of the navy in October. In November I started the radio/electronics course at Elkins Institute in Atlanta, took the FCC exams in February and got my 1st and 2d Class licenses. As for any further broadcasting, my father, who put DJ's just slightly ahead of used car salesmen, sent me to law school (which occupation, it could be argued, was beneath both of the above).

I practiced law for 12 years then became a judge. I got my old band back together in 2008 and played for two years. I'm now remastering some songs I wrote in Iceland, one of which has been selected to appear on an album.




AFRS Reykjavik -  Jim Rourke 1971


No comments:

Post a Comment