Wednesday, January 11, 2017

AFN Earl Freudenberg 1973

Earl Freudenberg 1970 with Minnie Pearl

I originally had orders to Viet Nam in 1972..  Got to Oakland, CA.  It was worth it because a group of use got to go to baseball game.  They took us back in this Room and Gene Autry came out and shook out hands.  4 days later, Pres. Nixon diverted a group of us to Germany.  I ended up in Heidelberg. 

When I Reported for duty the SGT learned I had radio experience and call Mr. Moore at AFNE and asked them if they needed a broadcaster.  He said we’ll Find him a job.  The Colonel was off that day for they used his car to take me to Frankfurt.  A SGT from Kingsport, TN said our country announcer Is rotating Friday, this was Tuesday.  He said we need a replacement to start next Monday.  That will be your program. 

They had not even heard my tape.  I made one. I Guess they liked it, never said.  Was accepted after being told what I was going to do.  Hosted “Town and Country” for over 12 months.  AFN program director Bud Miller did my introduction.  He died last year 2016.  I was told at that time that my  mail was among the highest.  Still have most of those letters.  Also did several other programs.  Filled in when other announcers were sick.  Came back home and worked in radio doing about everything anyone could want. 

Spent more of my career at WDOD.  I’ve posted a lot of pics about My career.  I was inducted into the Tennessee Radio Hall of Fame last May.  Radio was good to me for nearly 55 years.  Retired at the end of last August.  I tried to save as much as I could.  Put a lot of my stuff on reel and sent it back home to my parents.  A missionary friend of Mine in Germany who listened to me said the old AFNE building has been leveled.  Last picture is an view of German broadcasting.  You’ll see AFNE to the right. 
Several AFNers that were there when I was, Herb Glover, Dave Perry, Chris Davala and John Dedekis.



No comments:

Post a Comment